The Story Behind "O Come O Come Emmanuel"
Posted on December 18, 2015
O Come O Come Emmanuel was originally sung by monks in monasteries during the medieval days. The words of this song were considered so important that a separate stanza was assigned to each of the most pious monks, to be sung from the 16th of December to the 23rd. In the 1800's, a standard tune was written for it and the refrain was added.
Here's an idea for your worship service. Why not share the story behind the song, and then have all the men in your congregation stand to sing the verses. Everyone else could close their eyes and be taken back hundreds of years, when one of the first Christmas carols was ever written.
Today, O Come O Come Emmanuel remains one of the most popular carols to be sung, especially during the advent season. We have many arrangements that cover a wide range of styles and instruments. Browse through the selection below to find the perfect version for your Christmas worship service.
More from this series ...
Category: Song Stories
- The Story Behind "Silent Night"
- The Story Behind "O Little Town Of Bethlehem"
- The Story Behind "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear"
- The Story Behind "O Holy Night"
- The Story Behind "Joy To The World"
- The Story Behind "Hark The Herald Angels Sing"
- Christmas Carol Song Stories
- The Ultimate Guide To Planning Worship Songs For Christmas Eve
- Top 100 Easter Worship Songs for 2015
- Top 40 Worship Songs For The Season Of Lent
- Top Easter Worship Songs For 2017
- Top 50 Easter Worship Songs For 2014
- Top 25 Worship Songs on the Holy Spirit for Pentecost 2015
- Top 40 Thanksgiving Worship Songs
- Top 60 Worship Songs On The Cross For 2015
- Top 100 Worship Songs For Easter 2016