General Guidelines in Song Selection
Featuring John Telman Posted on May 12, 2008
1. Include as many songs as possible in which God is the subject.
The main person or thing that is performing the action of the main
verb(s) in the song. “Who is doing the main action indicated in this
Jesus loves you.The verb is “love”. The subject is “Jesus”
We sing for joy.The verb is “sing”. The subject is “We”
God is gracious.The verb is “is”. The subject is “God”
2. Include as many songs as possible in which God is BOTH
the subject and object simultaneously.
Object (Meaning, your “audience”)
The person or thing to which an action or feeling, statement or
thought is directed. “Whom are we addressing through this
Rejoice in the Lord. The congregation is the object (audience).
We love you Jesus. Jesus is the object (audience).
Note: Avoid songs that shift back and forth between two or more objects.
Thought Movement between Combined Songs Selected for the Service
From songs about God (horizontal) to songs sung to God (vertical)
From plural voice (“we”) to singular voice (“I")
- How To Thrive This Christmas - Webinar with Paul Baloche
- He Shall Reign Forevermore Live Video by Chris Tomlin
- For Unto Us A Child Is Born (Open the Eyes of My Heart) Tutorial with Paul Baloche
- How To Play "Hark The Herald" by Paul Baloche
- How To Play "Your Name (Christmas Version)" by Paul Baloche
- How To Play "This Is Love (with Come Thou Long Expected Jesus)" by Paul Baloche
- How To Play "Prepare Him Room" by Paul Baloche
- How To Play "O Come All Ye Faithful (with We Adore You)" by Paul Baloche