3 Questions For Hillsongs JD
Featuring Hillsong Worship Posted on August 6, 2012
As a worship leader who doesn't play an instrument, what are the most helpful things from a music director and musicians?
1. Understand that we don’t know what keys work and don’t work, so help us by explaining and being open to making it work either way.
2. I love a music director that takes initiative! It’s much easier to pull you back if you’re doing too much then have to turn around in the middle of a set and ask for more help.
3. Just have a general attitude of trying to help the worship leader go where they want to, rather than be stuck in the way you think is best. That way you give the worship leader confidence that you’re behind them and everyone gets a better result!
What are a few paractical tips you have for crafting worhip service in different contests?
Always start with the end. Have an end goal/place that you want to end up and work backwards to achieve that goal. Be purposeful and plan as much as you can to achieve that goal. For example, be very mindful of the kind of atmosphere you want to create and remember what works to build a great atmosphere in a room of 1,000 doesn’t always work in a room of 100. Also, don’t be afraid to try something different. In fact, it’s a must.
Most interesting/awkward moment on stage?
Ok, I have hundreds of stories, from jumping off the drums and landing on my youth pastor and breaking his leg! To falling off stage and starting a song in the wrong key but probably the most embarrassing of them all was when I split my jeans to the point that they were not really purposeful... Oh well...
This article was originally posted on Hillsong Collected on July 31, 2012
- 5 Reasons Lament And Praise Must Stand Together In Worship
- 8 Ways A Worship Leader Can Be A Good Host At Rehearsal
- My Response To “5 Reasons Jimmy Fallon Is One Of The Best Worship Leaders In The World”
- 7 Best Practices For Running A Great Worship Rehearsal
- 3 Keys To Leading A More Meaningful Life In The New Year
- The Fraction Principle How To Make Beautiful Music By Playing Less
- Manners 101 For Worship Teams (Or 5 Ways Your Attitude Changes Everyone’s Sunday Morning)
- 10 Best Practices For Worship Vocalists
Other Posts Featuring Hillsong Worship
- New Song Cafe: O Praise The Name (Anastasis) with Hillsong Worship
- Preview River Wild from Hillsong Worship
- Oceans Song Story - Hillsong UNITED
- Forever Reign By Hillsong Chapel
- Hillsong Cornerstone Small Group Resources
- Hillsong Launches Resources For Small Groups
- New Christmas Album by Hillsong
- New From Hillsong's Cornerstone Album