Bringing Your Church to a Higher Level of Worship
Featuring Mark Cole Posted on April 1, 2008
All of us want to become better worshippers and in turn lead our congregations to a higher level of worship. Here are a few thoughts gleaned from 20 years of leading worship in dozens of denominations, cultures and languages.
- Start where the people are. Begin with songs they know and love and worship God with those songs. Gradually introduce new songs that especially lead people to worship. Make sure that you, your musicians, and your sound people are doing a good job musically with the songs.
- Be a great role model for your worship band and congregation. People learn by watching and if you’re the leader that means they’re watching you. Make sure you’re just not leading songs but that you’re worshipping God as you sing and play. Know the music so well that you don’t have to think about it. Rehearsal time is for learning songs and worship time is for worshipping. Be sensitive and loving to the people you lead. If they sense that you love them and they feel God’s presence in the worship, they’ll be glad to follow you.
- Ask your senior pastor to teach on worship. As people realize that singing, shouting, clapping hands, raising hands, instrumental music, bowing down and other acts of worship are in the Word, they will be more open to doing it themselves. Encourage the other ministry staff and your worship team to be great models of worship. People generally take their worship cues from their leaders.
- Make sure your walk with the Lord is strong. Make sure your worship team’s walk with the Lord is strong. Are you spending daily time with God in prayer, reading the Word and loving people? God’s power in your worship time is directly proportional to God’s power in your daily life.
Tag: Worship Leading
- 5 Reasons Lament And Praise Must Stand Together In Worship
- 8 Ways A Worship Leader Can Be A Good Host At Rehearsal
- My Response To “5 Reasons Jimmy Fallon Is One Of The Best Worship Leaders In The World”
- 7 Best Practices For Running A Great Worship Rehearsal
- 3 Keys To Leading A More Meaningful Life In The New Year
- The Fraction Principle How To Make Beautiful Music By Playing Less
- Manners 101 For Worship Teams (Or 5 Ways Your Attitude Changes Everyone’s Sunday Morning)
- 10 Best Practices For Worship Vocalists
Other Posts Featuring Mark Cole
- 7 Tips On Taking Your Sunday Morning Worship To The Next Level
- What I’ve Learned About Running A Worship Band Rehearsal
- What I’ve Learned About Picking New Songs For Worship
- Three Keys to a Great Worship Rehearsal
- Ten Ways to Improve Your Worship Team
- Keys to Developing a Great Vocal Section
- Keys to Developing a Great Rhythm Section
- Ten Ways To Improve Your Worship Leading