The Story Behind the Song Holy Spirit
Featuring Keith and Kristyn Getty Posted on October 10, 2012
“Holy Spirit” is the final hymn I wrote with Stuart Townend as part of the 'Apostle’s Creed' album we created in 2005. This collection of songs focuses on the basic tenants of the Christian faith outlined in the ancient creed.
As in much of our songwriting, we wanted to connect the radical truths of what we believe with everyday life. In this particular song, we desired the hymn to function as a sung prayer about the Holy Spirit’s renewing power. In church services, it works well used just prior to the sermon or at its conclusion, as well as before the service or during a prayer time.
We divided the hymn into three verses. The first expresses a prayer for inward change, asking the Holy Spirit to transform us from the core of our being. Without such change, all religious attempts are futile. We must daily ask for renewal and the desire to love and treasure God’s word and his ways.
Verse two petitions the Spirit to abide in us so we’re able to bountifully bear His fruit, such as the kindness and gentleness described so beautifully in Galatians 5:22-23. Closing this verse is a prayer “to show Christ is all I do.”
Verse three is a more expansive prayer for the church. During the songwriting process, we kept revisiting this verse as we examined the role of the Holy Spirit throughout the New Testament. In passage after passage, evidence of the Holy Spirit’s power in someone’s life was marked by two characteristics--Christ is magnified, and the individual is led on a path of sacrifice.
We thus combined the lyric and arrangement of the last verse to build through the first five lines as we convey the power of the Spirit and our desire to see the church hunger for His ways. Then in line six, we suddenly stop with the prayer, “Lead us on the road to sacrifice/ That in unity the face of Christ/ Will be clear for all the world to see.” Artistically, this works as a bit of a surprise as we underscore the paradox and wonder of Christ’s power in us. Only through experiencing sacrifice are we unified as the body of Christ. Only through reaching the end of ourselves can we achieve a vibrant Christian witness that everyone on the outside can see as different.
Tag: Song Story
- The Story Behind the Song Consume Us with CentricWorship
- Lost and Found Song Story by Cory Alstad
- O The Deep Deep Love Of Jesus Song Story by Cory Alstad
- Patience Love Song Story by Cory Alstad
- Psalm 121 Song Story by Cory Alstad
- Near Song Story by Cory Alstad
- I Will Trust You Song Story by Cory Alstad
- As Your Kingdom Comes Song Story by Cory Alstad
Other Posts Featuring Keith and Kristyn Getty
- Celebrating 15 Years of Getty Hymns
- Facing A Task Unfinished - Join The Movement February 21, 2016
- Music Duo Keith And Kristyn Getty Wrap 2015 With Many Firsts
- Put Some Joy In Your Christmas with Keith & Kristyn Getty
- The Gettys On CBC Sunday Morning
- CBS Sunday Morning Will Feature The Gettys Easter Sunday
- My Worth Is Not in What I Own Performance Video by Keith & Kristyn Getty
- The Getty Christmas Tour 2014 To Include Carnegie Hall