Counting On Your Name Song Story
Featuring Worship Central Posted on April 24, 2011
The world around us is shaking. Over the last few years we’ve seen economies collapse, nations rise up in civil war, earthquakes destroy cities, alongside other countless natural disasters that leave us heartbroken and confused.
It’s in these moments that our comforts and securities are challenged, our simple ‘neat and tidy’ answers don’t quite cut it and we are left once again turning to God for hope and strength.It is in this context that the song ‘Counting on Your Name’ was written.
My friend Nick Herbert and I had been playing around with some ideas and he had brought the phrase, (which I must confess he had stolen from a hymn!) ‘Counting on Your Name.’ As a statement it captures so much in terms of belief, hope and security. In all the unanswered question, the uncertainty, and the fear – we know that God is to be trusted.
“My life is built on nothing less than Your faithfulness.”
In a fragile world God can be the rock on which we depend upon. He is the Way the Truth and the Life. He is the anchor in the storm. We are finite, weak and limited but He is infinite, faithful and trust-worthy. In the midst of all that fails and fades away, through the struggles of broken relationships, empty words, through personal disappointment, we can find hope and be assured that God knows us and loves us. Our names are written on His hand. Nothing on earth can tear us apart from His unconditional love. One thing is certain in this world, God’s love is limitless and His name can be trusted.
“My name is written on Your hand. You’ve called me Your own. Now I am Yours no earthly power can tear us apart.”
So we too join with the Apostle Simon Peter in responding to Jesus, “Lord, to whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life.” (John 6:68)
“I’m counting on Your name I’m counting on Your name Counting on Your name to save me.”
Tag: Song Stories
- The Story Behind "Silent Night"
- The Story Behind "O Little Town Of Bethlehem"
- The Story Behind "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear"
- The Story Behind "O Come O Come Emmanuel"
- The Story Behind "O Holy Night"
- The Story Behind "Joy To The World"
- The Story Behind "Hark The Herald Angels Sing"
- Christmas Carol Song Stories
Other Posts Featuring Worship Central
- Worship Central - The Same Power - Tutorial
- Let It Be Known - Uncut by Worship Central
- The Same Power Worship Central
- At Your Name Worship Central
- Let It Be Known Worship Central
- Worship Central's Let It Be Known Spends Three Weeks At No. 1 In The UK, So Far
- Theology & Creativity With Alister McGrath
- Video Blog: Ambition